BEST supports Senate Bill 1537 to provide affordable housing for Oregonians—if amended to remove UGB expansion loopholes.
In general, BEST supports Governor Tina Kotek’s efforts to provide affordable housing for Oregonians.
In particular, we support these elements of Senate Bill 1537:
- Infrastructure funding that prioritizes affordable housing within existing urban growth boundaries.
- Prioritizing building in livable, walkable neighborhoods.
- Climate-smart incentives.
- Housing Accountability and Production Office.
But we oppose this element and urge the Oregon Legislature to amend the bill:
- Unnecessary UGB expansion loopholes that push struggling people farther from their communities and resource networks.