To reduce greenhouse gas emissions from transportation, save lives, promote better health, and create places where people want to live, a new report from Transportation for America and Smart Growth America recommends:
- Getting onerous government regulations out of the way of providing more homes where people naturally drive less;
- Making safety the top priority for street design to encourage more short trips;
- Instituting GHG reduction and less driving as goals of the transportation system;
- Investing heavily in other options for getting around; and
- Prioritizing access to destinations.